Next NSW Race

Latest News

Tuncurry-Forster Is Making Big Inroads

By Mark Brassel

THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY WILL BENEFIT FROM A BRAND-NEW SEALED ROAD AND GATES INSTALLED AT TUNCURRY-FORSTER RACECOURSE

A new sealed road with upgrades and expansions into Tuncurry-Forster Racetrack was recently opened with funding through a NSW State Government Grant and minor funding from the Club.

(L-R): Present at the opening of the gates were Garry McQuillan (Forster-Tuncurry Jockey Club), Claire Pontin (Mayor of MidCoast Council), Dr David Gillespie MP (Federal Member for Lyne) and Mrs Tanya Thompson MP (Member for Myall Lakes)

“It is not just a road for the racecourse – the dam inside the racecourse was used during the Black Summer Bushfires and is the largest source of fresh water in the Forster-Tuncurry area,” explained Garry McQuillan, president of Forster-Tuncurry Jockey Club.

“This new sealed road is critical for Rural Fire Service fire trucks to gain better access to the dam.

“And others used the dam during that dark period including helicopters for water dumping and farmers came from Wingham and took water for their cattle.

“The fact is we have plenty of water in the dam. The RFS even has keys to the gate as they sometimes come in and practice their fire drills.

“The new road also helps customers of other businesses on the course like the model sailing club and the golf driving range, as many people wouldn’t drive in here on the dirt road with its potholes.

“It was a wonderful day with the official opening and thanks go to Dr David Gillespie MP for his support in helping obtain a ‘Black Sunday Bush Fire Recovery Grant’.

“Also Mrs Tanya Thompson and our Mayor, Claire Pontin for their support.”

The road was funded by the previous Federal Government with a $689,000 grant from the Black Summer Bushfire Recovery Grants Program to widen and reseal Chapmans Road, and improve safety and accessibility to the racecourse.

An aerial view of Tuncurry-Forster Racecourse’s new road with the black gates visible near the fire truck. Image by East Coast Photography

“We applied twice and received the grant the second time around and our Club put in $50,000,” said McQuillan.

“It previously cost the club $7,000 every time we had to grade the dirt road.”

Meanwhile, the Club is looking forward to hosting their second $150,000 Newhaven Park Mid North Coast Country Championships on Saturday 24 February.

“We wanted to change it from the Sunday last year as a lot of people work on a Monday,” McQuillan said.

“The crowd will be massive and we’re going to call it the ‘Country Championships Country & Western Weekend’.

“We’ll have a five-piece country band as well as a punters’ podium and the week before will be the ‘Taste of Tuncurry’.

“We will be ordering bulk seafood including oysters, fish prawns and calamari and I’m sure this is going to be the largest crowd ever seen at this course.”

The Latest Racing News

Kempsey Races (Monday) - Transferred To Tuncurry

Due to the condition of the track, the Kempsey race meeting scheduled for Monday, 7 April 2025 has been transferred to TUNCURRY ...
Read More

Dubbo Trainer's Dreaming Of Dancing At Randwick

By Mark Brassel Dubbo trainer Michael Mulholland would love nothing better than to be represented by his first runner in ...
Read More

John Schell's Tips For Gundagai Cup Day (Sunday)

By John Schell Selections based on a good track Race 1 - 12:05PM HAHN 3.5 MAIDEN PLATE (1400 METRES) 12 ...
Read More

Jockey Quotes - Australian Derby

Find out what the jockeys made of their mounts after the Group 1 $2,000,000 ATC Australian Derby (2400m) at Royal ...
Read More

Messara Eyes Scone Cup With Country Championships Hero

By Ray Hickson Country Championships hero Know Thyself will jump straight back into stakes racing by being set for next ...
Read More
Loading...
Racing NSW Apps
View
Mobile Version
Contact
Forms
Information
Industry Links